Saturday, July 14, 2012

Week 28 Review: The Star of Kazan

From Goodreads:
Annika has never had a birthday. Instead she celebrates her Found Day, the day a housemaid and a cook to three eccentric Viennese professors found her and took her home. There, Annika has made a happy life in the servants' quarters, surrounded with friends, including the elderly woman next door who regales Annika with stories of her performing days and her countless admirers - especially the Russian count who gave her the legendary emerald, the Star of Kazan. And yet, Annika still dreams of finding her true mother. But when a glamorous stranger arrives claiming to be Annika's mother, and whisks her away to a crumbling, spooky castle, Annika discovers that all is not as it seems in her newfound home...

My Review:
I don't think I should've read this book. I just picked it up, and it sounded interesting, but it was written for a younger age group then I'm in, and yeah, that just made it really difficult to get into. It was a good book, it's just for a younger age!

The only reason that it gets 3 stars at all, is because of the mystery. While it was pretty easy to guess how it was going to end, it was there, and it salvaged what was not such a great book. Good, but not great, which keeps it firmly in the younger readers section-and not for readers higher then their age!

Another reason (besides the age thing) to not like this book, was that there were huge chunks of pages that were devoted to information that turned out to be irrelevant, and weren't very interested. Which meant that I skimmed a good deal of this book to get through it!

All in all, with the negatives, and the one positive, it was an OK book. I liked how things wrapped, it happened, and it was over, and things were good. That was a bit of a positive, but it was muddled down by the rest of the book!

Yeah. Good book, but definitely for at highest, if that, grade 9 kids and younger.

Author: Eva Ibbotson
Read: July 11th, 2012
Source: Library
Reason Why: Sounded interesting. And it's a YAHFC book.
Publisher: Puffin
Published: October 1st 2004
3/5 Hearts
0/5 Books
0/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!